Call to Artists
Dome Industrial Area Markers Project
Budget: One for $11,500; five for $4,500 each
Deadline: November 1, 2019
Submittal via email at Info@whereartismade.com
I. Project Description
The St. Petersburg Warehouse Arts District, Inc., in conjunction with the City of St. Petersburg, Florida (“City”) and The Deuces Live, Inc., through a selection committee (“Committee”), seeks to commission six artists or artist teams (individually, “Artist;” collectively, “Artists”) to refinish the surface of each Dome Industrial area marker in the locations shown on the map attached hereto as Exhibit A. https://stpeteartsalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Dome-sign-photo-packet.pdf
II. Background Information
The 122-acre Dome Industrial Park was a redevelopment project begun by the City of St. Petersburg in 1999. It began as a collection of nearly seventy small residential, commercial, and industrial parcels, acquired over a three-year period.
The “cement structure” art project is to return these structures as part of a neighborhood fabric. Initially erected as homage to an industrial development, this art project seeks to return these structures to the neighborhood and the people who continue to reside within its boundaries.
The removal of all current signage will be completed by the City prior to any Artists starting work. Additionally, any holes will be filled. The square metal boxes will be removed. Each small marker will have a globe but the Artist may remove it if desired. The large marker does not have a globe. Artist will be responsible for priming the surface if necessary.
The budgets allocated for these projects are as follows: $11,500 for the larger marker (indicated as No. 3 on the attached map) and $4,500 for each of the smaller markers. This allocation is inclusive of all costs for the final installed artwork, including but not limited to Artist design and engineering fees, fabrication, equipment purchase or rental, shipping, installation, travel, hotel, transportation, mileage, and insurance.
This Call to Artists is open to all artists who are either residents of the City of St. Petersburg or currently work within City of St. Petersburg city limits.
V. Estimated Schedule
The estimated schedule for the projects is as follows; however, the Committee reserves the right to alter and modify this schedule in its sole and absolute discretion:
November 1, 2019 - Deadline for submissions
November 15, 2019 - Estimated date for selection of Artists
December 31, 2019 - Desired date for artwork completion
VI.Submission and Selection Process
A. General Submission Instructions
All required submittal materials must be submitted via email at Info@whereartismade.com
B. Required Submittal Materials
1. Artwork Images
A total of three (3) digital samples of past completed artworks or projects is required, along with the following information for each: title, medium, category, dimensions, and price/value. Slides, videos, prints or any physical submissions of artwork will not be accepted.
These images will serve as an overview of your work relevant to this Call to Artists.
2. Letter of Interest (including Statement of Thematic Concept and Planned Medium)
Express your interest in this project. Please indicate whether you are submitting for the larger marker, a smaller marker, or whether you are submitting for either. Please include name, address, email, phone and website (if applicable) on this document.
Include a brief statement on your concept for the artwork, including any particular theme or themes that it might include. Additionally, include which mediums you plan to use in the artwork and a description if warranted.
3. Resume, including List of Professional References
Emphasize art experience (2-page maximum per team member resume). If submitting as a team, compile all resumes into a single document. Please include Artist’s name, address, email, phone and website (if applicable) on this document.
C. Selection Criteria for Finalists
The Committee will select a total of six (6) Artists based upon the following criteria:
- Quality and strength of past work as demonstrated in the submitted application materials.
- Statement of thematic concept and planned medium.
- Demonstrated ability to design, construct and install art of a similar scale.
- Understanding of the surrounding area and history as reflected in Artist’s thematic concept.
- GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- Selected Artists will be required to enter into an agreement with the St. Petersburg Warehouse Arts District, Inc. for the project (“Artist Agreement”) in which the Artist will be required to, at a minimum, (i) name the City as a beneficiary to the Artist Agreement, (ii) name the City as an additional insured on all insurance required to be obtained by the Artist pursuant to the Artist Agreement, (iii) defend and indemnify the City against any and all claims arising out of or in connection with the Artist’s performance of the Artist Agreement or use of the funds provided to the Artist for the project; (iv) extend all warranties set forth in the Artist Agreement to the City; and (v) waive, disclaim and terminate any rights the Artist may have to prevent any intentional or accidental distortion, damage, destruction, or mutilation of the artwork which would be prejudicial to the artist’s honor or reputation and the right to prevent any intentional or grossly negligent destruction of the artwork (i.e., the Artist will be required to waive all VARA Rights).
- The Committee has the sole and absolute discretion to determine which Artist to select for which marker but will consider any preference indicated.
- To maintain the City of St. Petersburg’s family friendly atmosphere, the final artwork shall not be religious, political, or sexual in nature and shall not depict or show any Specified Anatomic Area (as defined in Chapter 16 of the St. Petersburg City Code).
- The selected Artists will be required to comply with all applicable laws.
- Upon submission, all materials submitted by Artists become public records.
- Due care and diligence has been exercised in preparation of this Call to Artists and all information contained herein is believed to be substantially correct; however, the responsibility for determining the full extent of the requested services rests solely with those submitting responses to this Call to Artists.
- The Committee reserves the right to reject any or all applications submitted in response to this Call to Artists, waive any or all informalities and/or irregularities, re-advertise with either an identical or revised scope, or cancel this Call to Artists in its entirety.
- The Committee reserves the right to reschedule or cancel a finalist selection prior to the execution of an Artist Agreement.
- The Committee is not under any obligation to select any finalist or to award any contracts.
- From the date this Call to Artists is released until the date an Artist is awarded a contract for the project, applicants shall not contact individual members of the Committee about the project. Failure to comply may render an Artist ineligible to compete for this project.